Sunday 30 January 2011

43things: Swim 1km without stopping


Image from http://www.msac.com.au/aquatics/lap-swimming


I have to keep pinching myself in order to believe I actually achieved this goal. And so quickly too.

Honestly I don’t know how it happened. I’ve been to the pool about
1-2 times per week for the last few weeks. Prior to Tuesday, the most I had swum without a quick break at the end of a lap was 200m.

Somehow on Tuesday it happened. I was aiming for
300m (6 laps). I was still feeling good after 6, so thought I would be ambitious and aim for 10. By 10 I was still ok so aimed for 12, then 15…By the time I reached 16 I was determined to make the 20, so I did.

It was more by accident than any specific traning or pre-planning. Maybe it had something to do with not having done any other exercise for
48 hours beforehand, so my arms and shoulders were fresh.

As exciting as that was, it’s a bit scary. I’ve raised the bar now.

Today I’m a bit tired, a bit hungover, and a bit sore from a training session I had yesterday. However its
35 degrees and I need to cool down. I’m about to head to the pool. I’m afraid I won’t be able to swim 6, let alone 20 laps without stopping, which will make me a fraud.

But even if I do stop and take breaks, I know I’ll get to
1km. I don’t always have to swim without stopping, just because I have before. Sometimes I’ll want to have a drink. Sometimes my goggles will leak or fog up. Sometimes I’ll be lazy and hungover.

And while it’s not perfect, I have to remind myself it’s ok. Just making the effort and getting out there and doing it is a great thing!

See more progress on: Swim 1km without stopping

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! You did it! Not being able to do it again right away doesn't make you a fraud by any means. Some days I can barely make it a mile when I run, but that doesn't change what I've done in the past.

Now, the trick is to keep it up! ;)

Theresa said...

Woohoo!!! Well Done Tam!! Definitely NOT a fraud if you don't do it again - a big HIGH FIVE from me :)

Actually, reading your blog is inspiring me to get a bike... I can see me going for lovely little rides while the girls are at school :)

yublocka said...

Natalie thanks. It's good to hear that everyone else isn't perfect as well. Yes, keeping it up is the difficult part!!!

Thanks Theresa. I think you'd love bike riding. You could go with your girls too!!