Monday 12 April 2010

Pot pie

There aren't many things in life that are more comforting than a pot pie. The most delicious one I've ever had was a sweet potato and chickpea pot pie that I had at a pub at Mount Victoria, whilst driving back from The OC to Sydney one weekend.

I've never seen it on any other menu, and never seen a recipe for such a pie, but I have craved it often. So much in fact that I've searched around on the internet to find something similar. This recipe for Moroccan lamb & chickpea pot pies at Taste is the closest I've seen.

A sudden cold snap hit Melbourne a few days ago. Also, I'm starting night shift tonight for 4 nights in a row. So what better time to fill the fridge with a hearty and nourishing pot pie.

Morroccan sweet potato & chickpea pot pie

I've adapted the taste recipe to take out the lamb. Still not quite at the level of the Mount Victoria pub, but I'm willing to keep working on it over winter!

Morroccan sweet potato & chickpea pot pie

Morroccan sweet potato & chickpea pot pies

Ingredients

  • Olive oil spray
  • 1 brown onion, finely chopped
  • Half a leek (I happened to have it in the fridge. I wouldn't buy it just for the sake of this recipe if I didn't have it already though)
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground cumin (I added this because I always seem to use coriander and cumin together)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 x 400g can no-added-salt tomatoes
  • 500g orange sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut into 1.5cm-pieces (I increased the amount to compensate for the lack of lamb)
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) water
  • 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 4 sheets filo
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds

Method

  1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan and then spray with olive oil spray. Add the onion +/- leek to the pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic, coriander, cumin and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
  2. Add the tomato, sweet potato and water to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the lamb and chickpeas, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the honey. Season with pepper.
  3. Preheat oven to 200°C. Divide the pie mixture among four 250ml (1-cup) capacity ovenproof dishes. Spray 1 filo sheet with olive oil spray. Fold in half 4 times to make a square. Place on top of 1 pie. Scrunch the edges. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat with remaining filo sheets and sesame seeds. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve.

I'm not very good at working with filo, so I kinda mucked this bit up. Still tasted good though. I'm going to have to get some filo lessons from my friend who uses it to make yummy spinach and cheese triangles.

Also I really need to buy some ramekins. I have the small baking tin pictured above, but the rest of the mix just went in a loaf pan since I don't even have any ovenproof bowels. On the todo list!

7 comments:

Theresa said...

oooh that sounds delish! Going to try that one once the weather cools down yummo!

yublocka said...

Def. give it a go Theresa. Easy to make, yummy, healthy and very filling!!!!

Mary said...

Oooh yeah, I could do with a pot pie! It is getting colder but I want to hold on to summer a bit more *wah*. At least fashion is better in winter.

Anonymous said...

found this link for sweet potato and chickpea cakes ... perhaps it might help in your adaptation efforts!!

Anonymous said...

sorry forgot to add the link ... http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/22366/low-fat-sweet-potato-and-chickpea-cakes/recipe/

green ink said...

YUM! I'll give these a try for sure.

yublocka said...

Hopefully there's a few weeks of summer left in Sydney Mary. I want to go swimming up there still! Time for pot pies and boots afterwards :)

Ooh thanks Anon, that recipe looks interesting!

Let me know what you think if you make it Phil. It was yummy, but I can't help think it needs a certain something. I would add chilli, but I add that to everything so am getting paranoid I'm just becoming addicted to it!!!