I've had a Tupperware container of polenta floating around in my cupboard for years, but have only ever used it for baking corn bread, corn muffins or yummy cakes containing corn meal. Given my love of corn (and let's face it carbohydrates in general), it's surprising I've never tried making my own polenta mash.
Last week when the lovely Mary was down in Melbourne to celebrate her birthday, I was introduced to the wonder of polenta chips at Barney Allens. Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside and with a yummy dipping sauce. An instant win!
Mere days after trying these chips, I've been keen to go back for more. Since that was unlikely to happen, the next best thing to do was to try making them myself. Thanks to the wonders of google I found several not-so-daunting sounding recipes, so went ahead with one from allrecipes.com, with some slight variations, including baking instead of frying. Here's my version.
Baked polenta chips
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup dry polenta
- Small handful Parmesan cheese (next time I would add more
- Chopped fresh parsley (grabbed from pot outside, unmeasured
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other spices to taste - I added Chilli flakes and paprika
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, chicken stock, and butter; bring to rolling boil. Slowly whisk in polenta.
- Turn down heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until polenta pulls from edge of pan. (I know this sounds confusing, and I had no idea what "pulls from pan" means, but it REALLY DOES!)
- Mix in cheese, parsley, salt and pepper & whatever spices you are adding.
- Spread polenta evenly over a cookie sheet, and refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven
- Transfer polenta to cutting board and cut into sticks.
- Place on baking tray, spray with oil and bake in oven until crispy.
I served this with a salad and a dipping sauce made of geek yoghurt and chilli jam. It was yum! As I mentioned above next time I'd add more cheese, as I couldn't taste it at all. And don't worry, there will be a next time soon!!